Monday, January 18, 2016

The Adventures of Replacing a Moto Guzzi Oil Pressure Switch - Finale

Let's get this done!

The oil pressure switch:

To recap, the oil pressure switch apparently cracked and was leaking oil. With help from Guzzi riders on the MGNOC Facebook site, I learned I could use an oil pressure switch for an automobile, the Autozone Duralast PS571, which is a drop in replacement including electrical hookup.


Oil pressure switch repaired!

The fuel fitting:

To recap, the plastic fuel fitting broke when I removed the fuel tank. It is not available as a separate part. Fixing this required removing the plastic fitting from the metal plate that attaches to the bottom of the fuel tank. Mounted on this plate is the fuel pump, fuel filter, and fuel float apparatus. The “hole” or “well” that held the broken plastic fuel fitting is approximately 0.52” in diameter. If you also broke your plastic fuel fitting, here’s all you need to know to rebuild the fuel fitting using brass components:

First I drilled out the hole using a 37/64” drill. This is the clearance size for a 3/8” pipe thread tap. FYI: I don’t have a drill that can hold a ½” diameter shank bit. So, I used a pair of vise grip pliers and rotated the drill bit in the hold by hand. It helped to hold everything by reinstalling the plate into the bottom of the tank. Having a new, sharp drill bit helped too.

I put tape on the underside of the plate so the shaving wouldn't fall into the tank. I frequently blew the shavings out of the hole with a blow gun on an air compressor. 
Tapping the threads was not problem. I used a bit of JB Weld when installing the 3/8” MIP by ¼” FIP reducer bushing—that piece will never be removed again. The ¼” FIP x ¼” MIP street elbow and ¼” ID x ¼” MIP hose barb were screwed into place using gasket sealer. (Some of you are probably wondering why it’s called a “street elbow.” Here’s what Wikipedia says: street elbow. I found the definition less than satisfying.) For reasons I can’t explain, it didn’t seem prudent to use JB Weld on these making them permanent—for one, until the tank was mounted back on the frame, I wasn’t quite sure which direction it should be pointing. 

Since the fuel tank needs to be removed to replace maintenance items like the air filter, I installed a quick disconnect coupling on the fuel line. I splurged and purchased one with dual shut off valves so the fuel will not flow when disconnected.

So that's it!

To prove it’s all working, check out the video showing the bike running. I rode it to work on the last day of 2015 which turned out to be rather nice weather wise. I’m looking forward to more riding opportunities before spring arrives—proof that I’m an optimist at heart.


Post a Comment